Income Tax Clinic
The Income Tax Executive Committee is responsible for the logistics, promotion, management, and volunteer training of the annual USC Income Tax Clinic and campus-wide financial literacy initiatives.
Volunteers Director (4)
- Works with the Income Tax Coordinator to recruit and train Student Tax Analysts.
- Acts as an advisor and trouble-shooter for the Clinic by addressing any volunteer and client concerns, tax-related questions, EFILE software issues/setup, and supervision of the Student Tax Analysts.
- Designs training materials, leads financial literacy and training sessions virtually and in-person, and contacts faculty professors for assistance.
- Works to create a central online resource portal for student tax advice.
*Experience in personal income tax is preferred (has previously volunteered as an Analyst, studying Tax/Accounting, proficient with Canadian taxation system, etc.).
Logistics Director (4)
- Manages the backend planning of the Clinic, which includes room booking, catering, equipment rental, Clinic scheduling and more.
- Works with the Income Tax Coordinator to recruit and train Logistics volunteers.
- Acts as a liaison between the volunteers, clients, and the Clinic.
- Plans financial literacy events throughout the year.
- Schedules volunteer shifts during the Clinic as well as client appointment bookings.
Promotions and Sponsorships Director (3)
- Works with USC Promotions to heavily advertise Clinic and initiatives through our Facebook page (and other applicable channels).
- Creates graphics/posters, must be proficient in Graphic Design.
- Directs the marketing vision for the portfolio.
- Revises sponsorship package and distributes them to various organizations to form lasting corporate partnerships.
- Reaches out to on-campus clubs for cross-promotions.
- Manages all external relations with partner clubs, associations, affiliate colleges and faculties.
- Develops sponsorship goals and ensures it satisfies the USC budget.
*If you are applying for this position, please send examples of your Graphic Design work to email@example.com
- Application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd1701rU4cg9LbRlA5Z0sIH4ToT58xELLVAjuIIYltKL8PWhQ/viewform?usp=sf_link
If you have any questions about the position, please contact Cathy Zhang, the Income Tax Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications due: Sunday, October 9th at 11:59pm EST
Only successful candidates will be contacted for a virtual interview.
In terms of other volunteer opportunities, we will be hiring Sr. and Jr. Tax Analysts starting in November.
Social media accounts: Instagram (@USCIncomeTax), Facebook (USC Income Tax), and email (email@example.com)
About the USC Income Tax Clinic
Western’s student tax clinic is hosted by your USC, and takes place every year in March.
It is a free income-tax filing service facilitated by our team of CRA-certified and trained student volunteers.
Following the USC and Western’s guidelines regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, the Clinic will be hosted virtually via Zoom. By agreeing to participate in this virtual Clinic, you are consenting to the use of your image on a third-party application (Zoom) for the purpose of completing the tax filing process by video.
- USC Income Tax Clinic Facebook Page
- USC Income Tax Clinic Instagram
- About the CRA Community Volunteer Program
Do I need to file my taxes?
Every Canadian resident should file their taxes – this includes students with no income and students who are dependents of parents or guardians. Even if you earned no income, you could still receive a substantial tax refund by filing your taxes, such as the GST/HST credit. You can also claim your tuition and rent credits, which are available to all students.
Many students are included in their parents’ tax returns. Although it isn’t obligatory for you to file for yourself a second time, it is good practice to begin filing your own returns, especially if you earn income. Filing provides a good foundation for developing personal tax skills. You can also save time by filling on your own, as you already have all the supporting tax slips and documents.
When is the USC Income Tax Clinic?
The USC Income Tax Clinic is providing free personal income tax filing services from March 2nd to 20th, 2021 every Tuesday-Saturday from 12-6 PM EST. Our CRA-certified student volunteers are available to help all Western and affiliate students via Zoom as long as you book an appointment 24 hours before your desired consultation and meet our eligibility guidelines (see below).
You can book an appointment now via http://bit.ly/3pPYBNh
Am I eligible for the service?
We will be assisting with refunds for the 2020 tax year only, for all current Western undergraduate and graduate students who:
- Have a valid government photo ID
- Have a SIN number that does not start with ‘0’
- Have an income of less than $30,000
- Have no rental income, foreign income, investment income, business income, or employment expenses and have never filed for bankruptcy before
- Have been in Canada for a total of six months (183 days) in the 2020 calendar year
What should I bring to the clinic?
- Critically important documents:
Social Insurance Number (SIN)
The exact date of entry into Canada – If filing for the first time as an international student
- Two pieces of valid government ID.
Examples of valid government ID:
Passport (Canadian and foreign)
Driver’s License (can only validate Canadian licenses)
Permanent Resident Card
Government Photo ID Card
Certificate of Indian Status Card
- Tax-Specific Documents:
T4 – Income (issued by your employer)
T4A – Scholarships and bursaries (issued by Western University and your student loan source), CERB and CESB
T2202 – Tuition Fees (issued by Western University)
Rent Receipts (issued by your landlord or rental agency)
Medical or Dental Receipts (issued by your healthcare provider or your dentist)
Receipts for charitable donations (issued by the institution you donate to if they are a registered charity)
Itemized and detailed receipts for moving expenses (only if moving 40 kilometres or more for work or school purposes)
You can have multiples of each, so ensure you bring them all.
If you have any questions about the USC Income Tax Clinic 2021, please contact Winnie Pan at firstname.lastname@example.org.