Food Support Services is a USC student service dedicated to reducing food insecurity among UWO undergraduate students. FSS is committed to:
- Reducing hunger in our communities through our food hamper and food bank service, helping to enable the full participation of students facing barriers of food insecurity;
- Educating and advocating for local and global issues related to, but not limited to, food insecurity, hunger, and poverty through our campaigns and events;
- Providing opportunities for student engagement, personal development, and leadership through our events and volunteer opportunities
Food Support Services envisions a campus where students, faculty, staff, and community members are able to:
- Access affordable and nutritious food in a supportive and inclusive environment;
- Develop an awareness about local and global issues of food insecurity affecting our communities;
- Be a part of a supportive, inclusive, and healthy campus
Location: UCC, Rm 258
Hours of Operation: 10am – 2pm, or by appointment
Please note that the hours are subject to change, and we will try our best to keep the information updated on our website.
We are located on the Western University campus, at the University Community Centre (UCC), in Room 258. We are tucked away in the back of the UCC, but don’t let that stop you from coming in to say hi! Once you are on the second floor of the UCC, go towards the hallway in front of the Student Success Centre, around the corner past the Gazette and CHRW office, and we’re right next to the Peer Support Centre (Rm 256).
Food Hamper: Our food hamper service provides students in need with a grocery bag of food for 1-2 days. Students in need can request a food hamper by filling out a food hamper request form, through 3 options:
- Online Request Form
- In person by visiting our office (UCC 258)
- On hard copy paper through our PDF form and dropping it off at the mailbox outside our office (UCC 258)
We will attempt to fill these requests as soon as they are sent in, and requests can be filled in as soon as 24 hours. Shortly after the hamper is filled, you have the option to pick it up from our office (UCC 258), or pick it up from a locker located in the UCC, with instructions on how to open the locker sent via email. The service is completely anonymous and confidential, and is run by a team of dedicated, passionate, and friendly volunteers.
Food Bank: Our food bank is located at our office. Students are welcome to come by the Food Support Service food bank during our hours of operation to take what need. We want to be able to serve as many students as we can, so please be mindful of what you take.
Check out our Facebook page for the different events that we’re running this year!
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any current Western University undergraduate student is able to use our services.
Food Support Services could not help the hundreds of students it has without the support of our volunteers. Volunteers are crucial in managing the anonymous food hamper service, keeping the food bank open, and running our events. It’s a great opportunity to be involved with the USC, have a direct hand in helping others, and create meaningful impact during your time at Western. Volunteer applications are currently closed – watch this page for details later in the year.
If you are unable to contact us and need support, please see the following resources: